Sunday, May 1, 2011

Dilemma/Advice appreciated...

OK-it's been awhile...  So thanks for checking in on my lazy (i.e. unispired) blogging updates.

Good news:  I have finally dropped a few lbs in the last two weeks after MONTHS of being stalled (total is 38-40 lbs).  It has been uber cool to see a new numbers on my scale!  Also my bp is now 115/77 and I have stopped taking ALL my meds!!!  now THAT is progress....even if I do still have some chub to work on.

Dilemma:  I've been putting off having another fill.  Not sure if I need one since I mostly feel some restriction some of the time...  I have lots of excuses such as paying off my medical bills-not adding to them-taking time off from work, etc.  But here's the deal:  I LIKE eating larger portions than I know I should.  I don't want to give that up (damn that inner fat girl!).  And I am fearful of not being able to eat solid foods at all...  Which is making my inner fat girl run like hell now.  But I also know that I bought this band in order to achieve my goals, and my weight loss has been slow (or stalled) for too long.  I have even resorted to desperate dieting tactics over the last month which really sent me into a mental tail spin and left me so exhausted that now I am having a free for all with the pantry.  So how do you KNOW when it's time for more restriction???  What is the magic feeling of hitting that sweet spot???  Do I get by with some restriction some of the time???  Or should I demand more of the band than my will power and desire would ask of me???   Advice, suggestions, personal testimony appreciated...

I am counting down the days til summer!  Hope all is well in your neck of the woods!

5 comments:

  1. No band advice but wanted to say way to go on the loss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I decided not to get a fill this last appointment. I have had two total. I felt good restriction for 90% of the time, but like you I am able to eat a big more than I know that I should. I told my hubby to say NOTHING during my appointment in fear of losing my fill. I didn't want to give away the fact that I was doing ok on my own. During my appointment I decided on my own to pass. I was so worried about the possibility of being too tight. I lost 10 pounds between fill #1 and fill #2. The doctor felt that was great so she agreed. That was on April 22nd. I still feel good. I still feel restriction. I have another appointment the first part of June. I hope I can make it ok that long.

    Sooooo.....the sweet spot. Have I hit it? Probably not 100% but I think I am very, very close. My head still wants to eat but my band reminds me daily that I cannot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my experience has been that when i hit that sweet spot, even though I can no longer eat the volume of food I used to want.... i no longer want it. and even if you get a fill you shouldn't get so tight that you can't eat solids. Do you really want to be 'dieting' again? If you're anything like me, you got a band so you could give up dieting..... i guess at the end of the day it's completely up to you as to how much you want the band to be doing and how much of the heavy lifting you want to take on. you'll know the best decision

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to learn things the hard way, but I have never forgotten some advice that was given to me in my comments. First attack the eating habits, then worry about the fill. Getting the fill isn't going to solve the habits.

    Perhaps try cutting down on any unnecessary carbs (if it doesn't provide nutritional value like fiber, protein - don't eat it) and concentrating on staying full on dense proteins. It's what's helped me finally get my numbers to move again.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy for you that you are off all meds! You have done GOOD work and HARD work! I know you will make the right decision!

    ReplyDelete